Do I Just Show Up?
Yes! Find a chapter near you, see the calendar of upcoming events, and just show up! You can join the chapter’s Facebook group and/or email the Facilitator first if that would make you more comfortable.
- I am a Newbie! If you have never shot a gun before, new to guns and in need of some pointers or maybe haven’t shot a gun in years… we welcome you to our events.
- Not a Newbie. We appreciate experienced shooters at our events, helping us to share safe handling and firearms knowledge. Of course we want to challenge you as well, so we will have learning opportunities and fun events with you in mind.
Do I Have to Be a Member to Participate?
No, you are not required to be a member for your first couple of visits to most AG & AG events, including Girl’s Night Out, “T” Time, Breakfast & Bullets, and various clinics. Come check us out! We encourage you to officially register as a member as soon as you are able. In most cases, members pay lower range fees and receive discounts from reputable vendors on range equipment and ammunition. Members also wear personalized name tags to help everyone learn names and build our community.
There are some AG & AG events that do require membership, such as competition matches for pistol, rifle and/or shotgun. Registration for our National Conference and Girl’s Getaways is also reserved for members.
Can I Bring a Friend?
Yes! Bring your girlfriends to the range; however, we are a women’s shooting club and strongly encourage you to leave the guys at home! We love spending time with our husbands, boyfriends, sons, and other guy friends at the range; however, we take time to get away and enjoy girl talk, too! This girl-friendly environment has a different feel to it — and can often be less intimidating to new members. We share tips about posture, grip, and maneuverability that are all unique to a woman’s physical characteristics. While there are wonderful male instructors, it can greatly benefit women to learn from other women.
Any woman who is 18 years of age or older is welcome to attend. Any girl under the age of 17 years old must be accompanied by a guardian.
Do I Need a Gun to Participate?
All kinds of guns are welcome. Because of the different facilities we use, we can accommodate pistols, rifles and shotguns at most of our events (please check with your facilitator and/or range facility for restricted firearms).
If you don’t own a gun… don’t worry! Each facilitator tries to have a selection of firearms available for you to use in .380, 9mm, .40 or .45ACP (and rifles and shotguns when appropriate), but it will depend on what is available in each chapter. It is always a good idea to call your facilitator and ask! Several chapters are ranges that have a rental gun program. You will be required to purchase the ammunition from the range if you participate in their rental program.
Of course if you own your own firearms, bring ’em out. If you would like to share what you have and let others try out your gun(s) that would be very kind of you, but not a requirement.
What Ammo Do I Need and How Much?
It is up to you how much you want to shoot. Some ladies are happy with plinking a few rounds; others can go through 3 boxes in no time flat. Regardless if you are shooting your own guns or looking to try out something different, it is preferred that you bring your ammunition with you. Some facilitators do try to have extra ammunition on hand for sale in various calibers when but be prepared to purchase ammo at the range or at a sporting goods store prior to arriving to the event.
Our events primarily focus on pistol shooting. Each caliber of handgun ammunition varies in price; refer to the Ammunition Guide for what you can expect to spend at local sporting goods stores.
What Does It Cost?
- Range Fees: The range fees for Girl’s Night Out, Breakfast & Bullets, and “T” Time is set by each range and covers your admission to the range and 1 target. Ammunition is not included. Some ranges will charge a membership fee on your first visit. Range fees are also separate from “buy in” events that might be offered at your chapter.
- Membership: To become a member of A Girl and A Gun Women’s Shooting League there is an annual membership fee. Membership is not required to participate in most of our events. You can learn more about membership benefits and opportunities here: Membership Perks.
- Competitive Matches: To participate in the action shooting leagues for pistol, rifle and/or shotgun membership in the organization is required for insurance and liability reasons. League fees are set and based on range location and league activities.
What Should I Bring to the Range?
All participants should bring the following equipment:
- Ear Protection
- Eye Protection
- Your Handgun (if you have one)
- Ammunition for the caliber gun that you want to shoot (at least 100 rounds)
If you have questions, please contact your local Facilitator for more information.