Any time is a great time to invite a friend to the range. Especially if he or she is a nonshooter or antigunner, introducing your friend to gun safety is always rewarding for everyone.
Before you take a new shooter to the range, plan using this checklist so that you give her the best experience possible. Use our SOS (Share Our Sisterhood) cards to extend your invitation. Write your name and meeting time/location on the card so that she has your information. Give or your time and share our community with her!
- Arrange for a time to meet.
- Go to a facility that is clean and friendly.
- Schedule your meeting during a slow time at the range.
- Tell her what to expect and basic range etiquette.
- Allow extra time for check in and safety brief.
- Bring extra eye and ear protection for her.
- Start her with a standard 9mm.
- Make it casual and fun!
- If you don’t know how to teach, arrange for a firearms instructor to work with your newbie. Don’t let her learn incorrectly.
- Talk to the instructor to make sure she hits the high points and doesn’t overload your friend.
- Try to go to eat together afterwards so that you can answer any of her questions about safe storage, talking to her kids about guns, holsters, carry/home defense, competition, etc.
- Invite her to your next AG & AG Girl’s Night Out!